Head of GR, Canada
About the Position
The Head of Government Relations role requires a skillful, pragmatic, flexible and a locally sensitive approach, and is of critical importance to the future success of PayPal and its growth in Canada. Reporting to the Americas Head of Government Relations, based in Washington, DC, and working very closely with the Country Manager for Canada, based in Toronto. The Head of Government Relations, Canada, is responsible for providing strategic Government Relations (GR) counsel and program support and implementation for PayPal’s expanding business in Canada. This person will work with national and local governments, industry associations, academia and merchants to shape the policy environment, protect PayPal’s reputation and help PayPal grow its business in Canada.
- Providing PayPal Canada management and PayPal Government Relations (GR) team with legislative, executive and regulatory advocacy.
- Responsible for the planning and execution of strategic GR plans including regulatory and public policy matters for PayPal Canada.
- Managing external consultants and coordinating with PayPal GR, and Legal teams and other company functions as required.
- Coordinating analysis and monitoring of legislative and administrative initiatives impacting PayPal Canada.
- Drafting public policy position papers.
- Participating in international and domestic trade associations.
- Establishing, reinforcing, enhancing and maintaining excellent contacts with key government officials, including legal, legislative, regulatory and law enforcement individuals and entities.
- Specifically, develop and maintain cooperative relationship with federal and provincial government regulators for payments and financial services, including Finance Canada, FINTRAC, Autorité des Marchés Financiers (AMF, Quebec provincial regulator,) as well as members of the Cabinet and MPs.
- Assisting in the formulation of worldwide PayPal Government Relations strategy; liaise with colleagues in Legal and GR worldwide.
- Helping to ensure that PayPal is always compliant with relevant laws and regulations by close cooperation with PayPal Canada’s Legal and Compliance Directors.
- Providing clear, concise and commercially aggressive advice on government policy issues related to the operation and regulation of PayPal’s Canadian business and community, in close coordination with Heads of PayPal’s local business and corporate functions such as the Legal team.
Experience and Requirements
- Strong understanding and experience in government relations in Canada, with significant experience in technology, financial services, payments, and ecommerce issue areas.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and pressurized environment with limited day-to-day hands-on management.
- Most desirable candidates will be enormously flexible, able to consistently exercise sound judgment, have significant degree of self-motivation, be very resourceful and have ability to work with minimal direct supervision.
- Minimum seven years relevant government relations experience in: payments, financial services, consumer/retail banking, e-commerce, or similar businesses.
- Previous work experience with a matrix-styled organization is considered of relevance.
- Excellent written, verbal and communications skills.
- Can functionally and intuitively respond effectively, execute quickly and decisively, comfortable with ambiguity.
- Possess sound judgment, resourcefulness, confidence, humility and a sense of humour.
- Understand how to develop strong and advantageous relationships inside the business to leverage internal resources and assets.
- University degree required.
Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 237 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
We’re a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
To apply, email Becky Trejo, talent attraction specialist at PayPal.