Legal Counsel, India
About the Position
We are looking for an experienced professional to join PayPal’s Legal team in India. This position will be based in Mumbai/Bangalore/Chennai and will report to the India Senior Counsel based in Mumbai.
To succeed in this challenging role, candidates should be mature, self-motivated, well-organized with excellent interpersonal communication and problem solving skills. Being proficient in English (both written and oral) is essential.
The Legal Counsel will be responsible for:
- Corporate compliance issues under the Companies Act, including drafting minutes and filing relevant documents with the Ministry of Corporate Affairs
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating various commercial contracts including but not limited to procurement contracts
- Providing legal advice on business development cases, such as acquisitions and other inter- corporate investments
- Monitoring ongoing legislation and regulatory changes, and advising the implementation of policies and procedures to address new regulatory requirements
- Advising on employment and labor law issues
- Providing legal advice to resolve commercial disputes, e.g. those incurred by customer complaints, including litigation, arbitration and administrative procedure
- Working with the Asia Pacific legal team as a team member
A successful candidate should have extensive experience in compliance, interpretation and enforcement of Indian law and regulations relating corporate compliance, HR & employment and drafting and negotiating contracts. General legal background and experience with issues related to internet payments, digital wallets, clearing and settlement, corporate, currency controls, foreign exchange, litigation and intellectual property.
- Ability to work independently
- An understanding of the financial legal and regulatory environment in the India
- Specific knowledge of the laws and regulations relating to corporate governance & employment related laws
- An understanding of and ability to develop and implement policies and monitoring programs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Ability to handle multiple tasks or projects simultaneously in a fast paced and dynamic financial services environment
- Demonstrated ability to work with cross-functional teams as well as business unit leaders
- Strong interpersonal skills with a focus on teamwork and ability to foster/manage relationships across multiple departments
- Skill in focusing on desired results, clarifying next steps, and ability to prioritize effectively to meet deadlines, address risk and achieve desired results
- 3-5 years of experience working in a reputable company in the industry and/or practicing Indian law in the sector for a reputable law firm
- Candidates with broad background within the financial services industry, especially within a bank or financial services organization will be preferred
- Degree major in law from a reputable university.
- CS qualification is strongly preferred.
Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 237 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
We’re a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
To apply, email Becky Trejo, talent attraction specialist at PayPal.