Advisor–State Government Affairs
About the Position
Sitting in the New York Region (Including Vermont, and New Hampshire) this role is responsible for the development and implementation of Lilly’s state government affairs and state regulatory strategy with tight alignment with Lilly’s Business Units – Diabetes, Oncology and BioMeds. The candidate requires a combination of deep technical expertise and cross-functional leadership ability as a member of a highly diverse team. The Advisor must be capable of make complex technical (business and public policy) decisions within Lilly and with external entities. This role will have the capacity to lead large-scale projects or public policy campaigns with awareness of public policy and business risks. This individual is responsible for Lilly’s relationship with its public payer customers and functions as a principle government affairs representative on behalf of Lilly with Governors, their Cabinet and Executive Staff, State Legislatures, State Regulatory Agencies, City Mayors and City Council members.
- Responsible for the entirety of Lilly’s State and local lobbying and regulatory work; support Lilly’s Federal office (in Washington, D.C.) by using relationships with prominent members of the Congressional Delegation from states within the region.
- Capable of providing and influencing decisions within the SGA team and external partners on public policy issues align with Lilly’s business objectives.
- Serve as the primary company representative regarding all company issues with the Executive Branch, the Legislature, the Office of the Mayor and City Council and the regulatory agencies.
- Potentially Chair trade association’s (PhRMA) local task force and is the day to day face of Lilly to the Governor, the Legislative leadership, the Mayor and the City Council.
- Handle the activities of contract lobbying firms and/or public relations firms within the region.
- Develop and manage relationships with key advocacy and business organizations that align with Lilly’s Business and public policy objectives.
- Analyze and anticipate changes to public and private business environment in areas of direct responsibility for multiple geographies. Identify trends and stay abreast of the external environmental activities that could affect present and future business opportunities. Implement Lilly policy solutions.
- Educate and develop voluntary Lilly PAC participation.
- Run Lilly’s PAC and Corporate Political contributions (were legally allowed) in the region.
- Lead the in-state public policy activity of all Lilly businesses by building tightly functioning state specific alignment with Lilly’s Business Unit members – Diabetes, Oncology and Bio-Meds. Get results across multiple functions within Lilly and with external entities.
- Manage a budget for the region.
- Can be prominent in Lilly’s civic and community activities within the region serving on several local boards and non-profits.
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Liberal Arts or related fields
- 5+ years of broad experience in State Government Affairs OR 5+ years of deep lobbying expertise.
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States. Lilly does not anticipate providing sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B or TN status) for this employment position.
- Pharmaceutical and Healthcare experience a plus
- Requires specialized depth and/or breadth of how the legislative and regulatory process function in multiple geographies. Capacity to solve complex problems with broad impact on public policy and Lilly’s business.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal skills, and business insight
- Ability to work across boundaries and networks
- Ability to lead in a complex environment
- Willingness to challenge the status quo
- Ability to lead through controversial issues impacting the business
About Eli Lilly and Company
At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 39,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.