Mexico City, Mexico
About the Position
PayPal is seeking an energetic attorney to join our LATAM Legal team. The Legal Counsel will be responsible for:
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating various commercial contracts, including but not limited, to those with clients, business partners and financial institutions e.g. banks, credit card companies; providing legal advices to Compliance and Risk Management department on AML/CTF or other compliance matters; providing legal advice on business development cases in Mexico and the rest of Spanish Speaking LATAM; advising on legal and regulatory risk issues relating to sales and marketing activities, communications, and product development.
- Providing advice on regulatory issues, relating to the Mexican Fintech Law and the Payment Network Rules and regulations, Data Protection Law, etc.; working together with Government Affairs to establish and maintain good communication channels with relevant governmental authorities including BANXICO and the CNBV; monitoring ongoing legislation and regulatory changes, and advising the implementation of policies and procedures to address new regulatory requirements; advising on employment and labor law issues; Providing legal advice to resolve commercial disputes, e.g. those incurred by customer complaints, including litigation, arbitration and administrative procedure.
- Engaged individual with the ability to work independently
- Specific knowledge of the laws and regulations relating to payments industry and/or electronic money would be preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both Spanish and English
- Ability to handle multiple tasks or projects simultaneously in a fast paced and dynamic financial services environment
- Demonstrated ability to work with cross-functional teams as well as business unit leaders
- Strong interpersonal skills with a focus on teamwork and ability to foster/manage relationships across multiple departments
- Skill in focusing on desired results, clarifying next steps, and ability to prioritize effectively to meet deadlines, address risk and achieve desired results
Experience & Education
- 4 to 8 years of experience in commercial transactions of experience working in a reputable company or law firm; financial regulatory experience a plus
- Master’s degree major in law from a reputable university a plus
Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 237 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
We’re a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
To apply, email Beck Trejo, talent attraction specialist at PayPal.