Scientific Technology Expert, IT
About the Position
The Medicines Development (MD) IT serves as a strategic function within the Lilly Medicines Development Unit. There are tremendous opportunities in MD IT as continued investments are made in the transformation associated with next generation of drug development and the goal of a Digital MDU. This transformation includes moving to an organization that embraces information, analytics, process automation, and cybersecurity in the drug R&D enterprise.
The role of MDIT Consultant – Product Development embodies technology leadership, scientific software mastery and business relationship management for product development and laboratory functions in Bioproducts Research & Development (BR&D), Small Molecule Design & Development (SMDD) and Delivery, Device & Connected Solutions (DDCS).
Key Objectives and Responsibilities
- Master-level software technology practitioner in a number of emerging technologies (e.g., Spark, NoSQL, Cloud/AWS, IoT, Python, R, mobility).
- Utilize deep business and technical expertise to evaluate proposed project ideas, software designs, and/or technology changes (including vendor solutions) to drive business value outcomes and influence management decision-making.
- Advise and influence team members, management and business SMEs in the judicious application of technology for optimal IT strategy execution.
- Design, develop and integrate new technology solutions into the Digital Lab framework using repeatable processes for requirements/user story definition, analysis, design, construct and test activities.
- Plan and lead implementation efforts of technology solutions, including custom and vendor solutions, to meet critical business value improvements.
- Propose new ways of approaching business solutions with emerging technologies; prototype new ways of applying technologies to achieve the desired business outcomes; educate others so that they can use the new ways/prototypes in achieving the desired outcomes.
- Stay on top of new technologies and software development methodologies while determining the value of such technologies to MD IT.
- Mentor junior IT staff to build their proficiency and expertise.
- Develop an understanding of how MD IT strategies and solutions enable business execution. Use this knowledge to appropriately challenge the status quo and drive business-IT collaboration.
- Exploit internal and external professional relationships to enhance the probability of successful IT strategy execution.
- Seek opportunities to reuse existing technologies and services, where appropriate, to streamline support and implementation of key systems.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Science or related discipline
- 8 plus years of experience with the software development life cycle spanning project initiation, design, development, testing, deployment, support and retirement
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States. Lilly does not anticipate providing sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B or TN status) for this employment position.
- Demonstrated ability to broadly influence senior business and IT leadership in the organization
- Familiarity and interest in influencing and collaborating with business leadership to extend effective Laboratory Informatics and Product Development Solutions.
- Ability to proactively develop and apply creative solutions
- Demonstrated planning and execution skills for the design, development/configuration and implementation of technology solutions, including vendor solutions.
- Excellent social, leadership and communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Proven partnership skills; working with diverse team with different viewpoints
- Demonstrated negotiation skills; utilizes experience and knowledge to persuade others in reaching sound decisions
- Prior Pharmaceutical/Medical Device Product Development or Manufacturing IT experience and knowledge of PR&D business areas, applications, and data flows
- Educational background associated with Biology, Chemistry, Engineering or related fields
- Shown strength in several technologies: Java, RESTful web services, SPARQL, R, PL/SQL, Perl, Python, .net, Semantic Web/RDF/OWL, Elasticsearch, J2EE.
- Familiarity developing technology solutions within environments governed by Quality Management Systems (QMS).
- Familiarity with big data, mobile computing and Internet of Things (IoT) solutions/platforms.
- Familiarity with scientific software used in drug development modeling and simulation.
- Familiarity with manufacturing execution and process automation technology used in the manufacture of pharmaceutical drug products.
- Experience with AWS technologies and service offerings
- Proven knowledge of DevOps concepts and associated implementations
- Broad and deep technology learning agility
- Excellent self-management and team working skills
- Position is located at the Lilly Technology Center-North campus in Indianapolis, IN
- Travel may be required periodically
About Eli Lilly and Company
At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 39,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.