Institutional Sales Associate
San Francisco, CA
About the Position
The Institutional Sales Associate in the San Francisco office will leverage the time of senior GIMS Americas sales executives through the successful execution of a wide variety of technical and professional services in support of the team’s new business-related activities. The Institutional Sales Associate will also facilitate market intelligence projects in support of sales team activities and, as appropriate, help coordinate the group’s cross-territory activities along with the internal communications related to those activities. The Institutional Sales Associate will actively and efficiently partner with specific senior sales executives on both the Institutional Business Development (IBD) and Defined Contribution Specialist (DCS) teams in the San Francisco office in support of their prospecting efforts with sophisticated large institutional investors, with a primary focus on corporate and public plan pension sponsors (both defined benefit and defined contribution), as well as endowments/foundations and health care plans. Over time, the Institutional Sales Associate is also expected to help lead our selling efforts to more mid-sized institutions.
Manage the sales process to grow institutional AUM for T. Rowe Price by
Supporting the identification and cultivation of new business prospects, helping to initiate and develop new business opportunities, assisting in leading new business meetings and associated strategy development/preparation, and helping to close sales, working very closely with the GIMS Americas sales and consultant relations teams. Also, works collaboratively with the client service team to grow institutional AUM through client cross-selling activities.
Collaborates with sales and, when appropriate, consultant relations professionals in advance of meetings to determine meeting content and direction. Primarily supports the senior sales executives in researching and preparing for large market opportunities, and over time in some cases may serve in the lead role for mid-market opportunities. Independently conducts relevant research, synthesizes data/ information in a purposeful format and prepares the sales executive to deliver content. Coordinates with marketing analyst team for relevant competitor analysis. Will utilize a variety of resources and tools to gather pertinent perspectives, analysis and information to help inform and prepare the sales executive and other T. Rowe Price colleagues who will participate in the meeting. Internal research will rely upon the establishment of strong partnerships across the firm. External research may include white papers, competitor information, web analysis, industry publications, etc.
Post-Meeting and Ad Hoc Follow-Up
Collaborates with senior sales executives and other relationship management professionals to manage ad hoc new business-related requests from prospects, clients and consultants. Included may be reports, research, custom analysis, or other materials to meet their needs and further deepen the relationship.
On-Site Meeting Management
Works with the sales executive and leverages resources in marketing, shared services, and the administrative team to plan on-site new business-related meetings. When appropriate, the Institutional Sales Associate may be asked to play an active participant role in the meetings through facilitation activities and seeking information from and sharing information with prospects and clients. Will host selected meetings when appropriate under the direction of the senior sales professional.
Utilizes data acquired internally, along with commercial research as appropriate, to facilitate ad hoc research requests. This will include using the CRM system to help facilitate prospect targeting and territory management and ensuring it stays updated and accurate. The Institutional Sales Associate will also be responsible for communicating the research results to key stakeholders. Will liaise with internal shared services teams; and, as directed by the sales executive, will interact with prospects and clients directly to ensure that new business-related inquiries are addressed in a professional and timely manner.
Uses excellent judgment in involving specific T. Rowe Price personnel (both inside and outside of GIMS Americas) to facilitate issue resolution when necessary, and proactively proposes and provides solutions to problems. May manage global coordination efforts. Will serve in a facilitation role in connection with requests for which the primary responsibility for deliverable preparation resides outside of GIMS Americas but, nevertheless, the additional perspective and oversight provided by the Institutional Sales Associate is deemed desirable. Examples of this kind of activity could include RFP or DDQ (due diligence questionnaire) logistical planning, reporting, preparation of unique or non-standard presentation materials, etc.
- College degree and 3 years of related work experience
- Must obtain his/her Series 7 and 63 licenses once hired, if not already registered
- Presence and aptitude required to effectively interact with sophisticated institutional investors
- Ability to identify internal and external client needs/expectations and propose solutions, leveraging strong active listening and related skill sets
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to new internal/external client information and situations
- Sound judgment, problem solving and organizational skills
- Highly effective communication (verbal and written), collaboration and influencing skills
- Driven to achieve firm and client priorities, with motivation, enthusiasm, perseverance and resilience as hallmark personal traits
- Capacity to effectively manage and deliver on multiple tasks/projects, both strategic and tactical
- Strong interpersonal skills that enable effective initial rapport-building with internal and external clients
- Ability to establish genuine, collaborative long-term relationships with internal and external clients
- Demonstrates high ethical standards in all interactions
- Evident investment market acumen and interest
- High level of accountability and drive
- Series 7 & 63 licenses
- 2 years of institutional asset management experience
- Completion or progression towards further professional credentials (MBA, CFA, CIMA, etc.)
- Strong desire for a complex sales/relationship management-oriented career track
- Demonstrated interest in institutional sales and institutional asset management business
Interested in applying to this career opportunity?
Please email Taylor Frank, [email protected], include T. Rowe Institutional Sales Associate in the subject line.
About T. Rowe Price
Our mission as a leading investment management firm is to help our clients achieve their long-term financial goals. We believe our associates are the key to this mission and we are always looking for talented individuals who share our commitment to our client’s success.
If you’re looking for challenging work experiences and the ability to learn in a collaborative culture, we invite you to explore the opportunities available at T. Rowe Price.