Head of Intelligence
New York, NY
About the Position
he Head of Intelligence is a results-oriented, dynamic executive with proven experience in evaluating global threats to businesses, delivering sound risk mitigation strategies, crisis management, budget planning, and vendor/events management. Reporting to Chief Security Officer, this role is responsible for developing a network of intelligence resources that will improve the NBA’s ability to identify threats to players and properties, provide security briefings for NBA employees traveling internationally, and build an information-gathering network in support of international growth. S/he will also create metrics to measure the effectiveness of the intelligence program.
As the Head of Intelligence, you will manage/mentor direct reports, as well as collaborate and deliver through powers of influence, persuasion, and trust. S/he will be equally competent and comfortable around strategic business plans and project roadmaps. We are looking for someone with experience in delivering complex threat intelligence concepts contextualized for business leaders and skilled at cultivating high-performing teams with extraordinary customer service. S/he will be a trusted and respected evangelist for the security department while firmly grounded in business operations prowess with respect to budget, headcount, and timelines.
We are a nimble organization – and we expect leaders to have a player-coach mindset, an in-the-trenches style and a willingness to roll up their sleeves to dive into details as needed. Sharing contemporary ideas and experiences is welcomed; creating and setting industry standards, while constantly raising the bar internally is ideal. This is a role for a creative individual who is excited about navigating the future with us!
- Define and execute the NBA’s intelligence strategy which includes Open Source Intelligence, Investigative Intelligence, and Security Intelligence.
- Establish Intelligence techniques to collect, organize, synthesize, and summarize data from multiple sources in order to provide actionable information to decision makers.
- Responsible for the budget and vendors relations as well as performing strategic reviews of new technologies and methodologies that can support the Intelligence Services program.
- Marshal and manage Company resources sufficiently to conduct complete and thorough investigations, with conclusions supported by facts and details appropriate to the nature of the matter.
- Lead the preparation of contemporaneous alerts, daily/weekly analytical products, event-driven briefs and strategic, long-term research projects.
- Develop metrics to assess the threat exposure of NBA arenas, properties, and global events.
- Conduct targeted briefings to NBA senior management.
- Manage the NBA’s Duty of Care process for executives and employees traveling internationally.
- Develop a worldwide network of intelligence sources.
- Oversee the operations of the NBA Global Security Operation Center.
- Develop and deliver employee training modules.
- Oversee the dissemination of information for the Sports Leagues Intelligence Committee.
- Oversee the NBA’s executive protection program.
- Play an active role as a member of the NBA’s Threat Mitigation Team in evaluating potential threats by staff members.
- Oversee protective intelligence investigations.
- Manage the Security Department’s internship program.
- Flexibility to travel as needed (both scheduled as well as unplanned escalations).
- Other duties as may be assigned by the Chief Security Officer or league executives.
- Must be an articulate and persuasive leader who can serve as an effective member of the senior management team and who is able to communicate security-related concepts to a broad range of constituents.
- Experience managing budgets, P&L and security operation centers.
- Deep comprehension of working collaboratively across multiple constituents, lines of business and functions.
- Experience providing counsel to senior leadership and working in stressful situations while maintaining tact, diplomacy, and strength of character.
- Active memberships in security organizations and intelligence working groups nationally and internationally.
- Incisive, analytical thinker with the ability to grasp complex subject matter quickly with challenging assumptions.
- Ability to multi-task while keeping keen attention to detail.
- Individual must have experience supervising and managing teams.
- Excellent written, analytical, and organization skills required.
- Ability to maintain extreme confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Strong background and experience in law enforcement and corporate security.
- High degree of IT literacy, including but not limited to social media platforms, Microsoft Office suite and web browsing tools/methods.
- 10+ years of diverse law enforcement or corporate security experience.
- 5+ years of people management and experience in advising senior management.
- Firm understanding with basic threat, vulnerability, and risk assessment methodologies.
- Proven track record of critical thinking and finding business focused compliance solutions.
- Top Secret or above clearance preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited University
- Masters Degree preferred
- Current security clearance
- Certification/Training in Industrial Security desirable. ASIS CPP preferred.
Interested in applying to this career opportunity?
Please email Taylor Frank, [email protected], and include NBA Head of Intelligence in the subject line.
About the NBA
At the NBA, we’re passionate about growing and celebrating the game of basketball. Through the intensity of the game and the amazing athletic skill of our players, we deliver excitement to hundreds of millions of fans around the world.
As a global sports and media business, the NBA is so much more. While Basketball Operations runs the league’s on-court activities, other departments manage relationships with television and digital media partners, develop marketing partnerships with some of the world’s most recognizable companies, oversee the licensing of NBA merchandise, and handle a wide range of responsibilities that drive the NBA’s success.
Off the court, we’re also deeply committed to social responsibility. NBA Cares leads the league’s involvement in addressing important social issues by working with internationally recognized youth-serving organizations that support education, youth and family development, and health-related causes.