Vice President, Card Data Engineering
This VP, Card Data Engineer will play a critical role in helping to transform the existing data environment to implement a large test and learn agenda, build a foundation for machine learning across the entire Card organization, and accelerate our migration to AWS. This is an exciting opportunity to lead 50-60 highly-talented data engineers and architects, in a mission to enable the creation of very progressive data management tools that go out to the client. You will be able to work with the latest and greatest technology and be actively involved in the open source community. In this highly visible role, you will be viewed as an industry leader in technology transformation and serve in the role of data evangelist for Capital One and consultant to a variety of other industries interested in learning more about what we are doing. As we continue to transform into a software company, this executive will play a critical role in that process.
- Influence, inspire, and oversee data strategies impacting 2100 Card Tech associates and the broader Card business
- Direct a high preforming team of 50-60 (DBAS, architects and engineers)
- Lead the assessment of new and emerging tools and technologies for data management
- Drive a progressive, yet safe transformation while in a fully operational model
- Assess our current data structures and successfully manage and address the gaps
- Deliver business value through machine learning through the leverage of large data sets
- Accelerate the migration of our Card data from current sources to future cloud stack (AWS)
- Successfully manage a demanding business customer who has a strong understanding andexpectations regarding data
The successful candidate will be a seasoned technology professional with passion for data transformation. He/she will consider it a personal mission to stay current on industry trends and leading technologies and have a burning desire to bring about transformation. Ideally this individual will have experience within a mid-sized to larger company, within organizations that are heavily engineering and consumer focused. He/she will have transformation experience, taking existing databases and moving them the cloud (public or private). This individual will have come from a company that has a strong appreciation for data and has experience working in an agile environment. This person will have a proven track record of being able to identify top technical talent and inspire and manage through change. He/she will also have a proven ability to operate effectively in a complex, and evolving environment. He or she will have a demonstrated ability to develop a vision, drive, design and manage the execution of that vision, and deliver top-tier results. The successful candidate will exhibit excellent leadership skills to leverage the capabilities of peers, business partners, and associates, and should possess the confidence and poise to influence the executive leadership team and various internal stakeholders. Strong business judgment, strategic orientation and communication skills are essential. Similarly, important are an attention to detail, good team dynamics, and an ability to work independently as needed.
Specific candidate competencies include, but are not limited to:
- Exceptional leadership skills, marked by poise, positive influence, and the ability to drive change
- Results orientation; ability to remove obstacles and hold people accountable for achieving challenging business results
- Intellectually curious; interested in understanding and experimenting with new leading edge technologies
- Ability to establish credibility with, as well as motivate and mentor, highly technical engineers. Demonstrated ability to employ judgment and experience to make rapid and complex decisions Highly developed interpersonal, presentation, and communications skills (written and oral)
A management style that is collaborative, energetic, results-oriented, and innovative
- Strong team builder and leader. Well-honed coaching skills with the ability and a passion to create an inclusive environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) field.
- 12+ years’ experience in software engineering with experience in Data Architecture.
- At least 5 years of executive technology leadership experience, in a modern agile environment or at a minimum have an appreciate for modern agile.
- Experience working within digitally savvy companies
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science or Business Administration
- Proven track record of leading large scale transformations
- Experience leading medium to large sized engineering teams
- Deep knowledge of data architecture, decision science and machine learning
- Experience managing the tech strategy for an organization’s flagship product
- Strong track record of leading a groups cloud migration strategy
To attract the right individual, Capital One is prepared to offer a competitive compensation package, which will include a base salary and cash bonus, as well as long term incentives (restricted stock, options and performance based shares).
Interested in applying to this career opportunity?
Please email Taylor Frank, [email protected], and include Capital One VP of Card Data Engineering in the subject line.