VP of Communications & Basketball Information Strategy
About the Position
The VP of Basketball Communications & Basketball Information Strategy for the Memphis Grizzlies is responsible for a comprehensive communications strategy integrated with Basketball Operations, to promote and protect the organization, as well as serve a key role as internal and external liaison for the NBA franchise and its affiliated entities. The individual will be a relationship builder, serving as a basketball information strategist and communications expert for key Grizzlies personnel. This position requires strong interpersonal, leadership and organization skills in order to set a clear vision for and bring collaborative thinking to both the Basketball Operations and the Business Operations of the Grizzlies.
- Work closely with the Team President and Executive Vice President, Basketball Operations to drive both strategic and daily communications activities and support key basketball operations priorities;
- Provide a forward-looking planned approach to the organization’s communications strategies with strong ability to shape narratives to enhance the image of our players, coaches, front office and organization for all critical audiences including (i) NBA front offices, agents, athletes and League officials, (ii) national and local NBA media, (iii) season ticket holders and engaged Grizzlies fans, (iv) national NBA and local Grizzlies social media influencers, and (v) casual local, national and international Grizzlies fanbase;
- Develop, cultivate and maintain productive relationships with influential local and national reporters, as well as local Grizzlies and national NBA social media influencers, while continuously growing the number, strength and diversity of media contacts;
- Protect and enhance the reputation of the organization in the media, including delivering effective issues management and crisis communications on issues in the media or that could be issues in the media. Coordinate crisis management activities, including preparation and implementation of the plan in the event of a crisis incident;
- Manage the monitoring, evaluation and internal reporting and analysis of key NBA media content in order to conduct effective basketball intelligence analysis – including evaluating information obtained from NBA media sources for building profiles of the goals, tactics and strategies of other teams, their front offices, coaches & players;
- Managing the strategic gathering and utilization of information in connection with the Draft, Free Agency and Trades and collaborating with key Basketball Operations personnel in an effort to help the group make informed, tactical decisions; Leveraging extensive network within the industry to collect background information in connection with potential personnel transactions;
- Assisting in the formulation of strategy in connection with efforts to recruit and retain basketball personnel, including free agent pitch books and related materials;
- Provide counsel, coaching and media training for top executives and player personnel, including developing and maintaining an organization-wide media training program;
- Interface with NBA office and team PR representatives on coordination and delivery of all NBA Communications needs;
- Work collaboratively with internal content teams (digital / social /marketing/creative) to help proactively tell our story;
- Provide guidance and supervision to the Director of Business Communications in promoting and supporting the business and community-related initiatives of the team;
- Responsible for the operation of the communications and publications department as it supports Basketball Operations, Business Operations and FedExForum related media activities, including oversight in connection with the development of Grizzlies publications and the planning of media days, press conferences and media availabilities, collaborating with internal content teams, collaborating with community relations outreach efforts and game-night media operations.
- Help recruit, coach, cultivate, inspire, mentor and motivate the communications team within the organization;
- Attend practices, shootarounds and travel extensively for Grizzlies games, NBA events and other promotional activities as primary onsite representative for the team to ensure an integrated approach between Basketball Operations and Communications;
- Draft, prepare and control the Communications annual budget;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations or a related field; advanced degree is preferred;
- A minimum of ten years of experience with five (5) in a senior management role;
- Knowledge and understanding of digital media and public relations strategy as well as the importance of connected storytelling efforts;
- Knowledge and understanding of the basketball operations landscape, including experience navigating on- and off-court matters.
- Demonstrated leadership in creating and implementing a communications plan;
- Must have solid knowledge of the NBA, statistics and basketball terminology;
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel and Outlook) and possess social media and technology-based program skills;
- Excellent written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills, and the ability to effectively partner with senior management, athletes and the media;
- Must possess problem-solving and decision-making skills. Ability to prioritize workload in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple tasks;
- Able to work flexible schedule when required, including evenings and weekends
Interested in applying to this career opportunity?
Please email Taylor Frank, [email protected], and include VP of Communications & Basketball Information Strategy in the subject line.
About the NBA
At the NBA, we’re passionate about growing and celebrating the game of basketball. Through the intensity of the game and the amazing athletic skill of our players, we deliver excitement to hundreds of millions of fans around the world.
As a global sports and media business, the NBA is so much more. While Basketball Operations runs the league’s on-court activities, other departments manage relationships with television and digital media partners, develop marketing partnerships with some of the world’s most recognizable companies, oversee the licensing of NBA merchandise, and handle a wide range of responsibilities that drive the NBA’s success.
Off the court, we’re also deeply committed to social responsibility. NBA Cares leads the league’s involvement in addressing important social issues by working with internationally recognized youth-serving organizations that support education, youth and family development, and health-related causes.