Principal, Strategic Planning (Corporate Strategy)
For over 230 years, Bank of New York Mellon (BNY Mellon) has been at the center of the global financial markets, providing the world’s leading institutions the tools, capabilities, and services to be distinctive investors. BNY Mellon has approximately $15 billion in revenues and market capitalization of approximately $50 billion
BNY Mellon is a leader in the world of investment services and investment management, and our businesses support the full range of stakeholders of the financial system including:
- Managing the custody of over $31 trillion financial assets of the world’s leading institutional investors, hedge funds, sovereign wealth funds, and corporates
- Investing over $1.8 trillion as one of the largest global asset managers across a wide range of asset classes
- Providing collateral, liquidity, and funding for the world’s largest banks through our markets franchise
- Serving family offices and high net worth individuals in our top 10 wealth manager ($250 billion assets)
- Providing a full suite of solutions to advisors, broker-dealers, family offices, hedge and ’40 Act fund managers, registered investment advisor firms and wealth managers (over $1.8 trillion in client assets)
- Advising large global corporations on a range of trust and other solutions
- Providing integrated managed data services to asset managers (over $4.7 trillion)
In addition, BNY Mellon is a strategic partner to a variety of financial technology companies and a convener of influential industry and market structure forums
A newly-formed global strategy team was recently launched by the Chairman & CEO to help develop and implement its long-term objectives, shape external partnerships and alliances, and respond to the increasingly dynamic financial services ecosystem. The group and its head, Akash Shah, report to Chairman & CEO Charlie Scharf.
The team will play a central role in the building of BNY Mellon’s global strategy and narrative. The team will work with senior leaders to help shape the initiatives that build into the Bank’s overall strategic priorities. In addition, the strategy function will lead an inter-disciplinary portfolio of corporate and business priorities on themes such as growth, innovation, efficiency, and resiliency among others. The group will also take the lead in developing external partnerships with clients, technology and data companies, and industry alliances. This group is charged with developing strategy, incubating enterprise opportunities, and driving execution in partnership with businesses and other functions.
The function aspires to be a talent incubator for the Bank by providing exceptional developmental opportunities for high-potential colleagues. The team will be located in all of BNY Mellon’s regional hubs – New York, London, and Hong Kong – and operate as a truly global function.
Team members will be among the first members of this new function, and will play a significant and senior role in shaping its priorities and operating model within the global bank. They will have unparalleled exposure to the senior leadership of BNY Mellon, its clients, and other influential industry stakeholders.
- Helps develop, shape, and articulate BNY Mellon’s global strategy and narrative across the Bank and within each individual business line
- Partners with Executive Team to capture business opportunities across the Bank, assess relative value and sequencing, and track and support execution (i.e., “rapid response” team for important projects)
- Runs key annual strategy processes (e.g., Investor Day, Annual Report)
- Maintains a strong external orientation, represents the Bank in key external forums, and provides market “intelligence” from clients, industry, and other thought leaders
- Develops a talent incubator for the Bank by providing exceptional developmental opportunities for high-potential people from within each business and function (i.e., rotation program)
- Works with individual business and functional leaders to help shape their priorities and connect into Bank-wide strategic narrative and priorities
- Connects Chairman/CEO’s agenda to cross-business priorities and (when needed) serves as a convener (e.g., technology & data opportunities)
- Identifies opportunities and helps develop strategic external partners (e.g., with large clients, technology companies, other industry stakeholders)
Business development & incubation
- Helps source and incubate cross-business/new business ventures (e.g., in the data space)
The ideal candidate would have a passion for and track record in:
- Being entrepreneurial and self-directed – being able to take a conceptual business challenge from an initial set of facts and hypotheses to real, practical solutions
- Working closely with and counseling senior business leaders with the objective of being a trusted advisor
- Being intellectually curious and interested in the future of financial services and shaping an industry through one of its major stakeholders
- Managing complexity and leading multiple projects with an unrelenting focus and prioritization
- Being a thoughtful communicator who can express complex ideas in simple, practical terms for a wide range audiences
- Bring a global mindset and working across a diverse set of environments
The ideal candidate would ideally have:
- 7-10 years of related experience preferred; experience in management consulting and/or wholesale banking preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or a related discipline, or equivalent work experience required; MBA or other advanced degree preferred
Interested in applying to this career opportunity?
Please email Taylor Frank, email@example.com, and include BNY Mellon Principal, Strategic Planning (Corporate Strategy) in the subject line.
About BNY Mellon
BNY Mellon is a global investments company dedicated to helping its clients manage and service their financial assets throughout the investment lifecycle. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, BNY Mellon delivers informed investment management and investment services in 35 countries. As of December 31, 2018, BNY Mellon had $33.1 trillion in assets under custody and/or administration, and $1.7 trillion in assets under management. BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments. BNY Mellon is the corporate brand of The Bank of New York Mellon Corporation (NYSE: BK). Additional information is available on www.bnymellon.com. Follow us on Twitter @BNYMellon or visit our newsroom at www.bnymellon.com/newsroom for the latest company news.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities/Females/Individuals With Disabilities/Protected Veterans.