Senior Counsel, Senior Manager–Card and Retail Bank
McLean, VA; Richmond, VA
The Card & Retail Bank Legal team is seeking an attorney to provide legal support for Capital One’s Retail Bank. At Capital One, you get to work with bright and intelligent individuals who will help elevate you to a new level. If you enjoy working with a team of high performing top talent, Capital One is the place for you! Our legal team thrives on collaborating and creates an inclusive environment where everyone’s voice is heard. This exciting role will allow you to use your depth and breadth of experience to strategize and influence the business lines you support. In addition, you will have the opportunity to enhance your skills and broaden your knowledge. Come to Capital One to be a part of challenging work while enjoying our exceptional culture and work-life balance.
The attorney in this role will be responsible for providing support to the consumer bank’s call center, bank operations and market experience lines of business. The successful candidate must be capable of quickly answering complex legal questions that arise in our cafe’s and bank branches, including with respect to federal consumer banking laws and state laws impacting consumer deposit accounts.
- Work with compliance and business partners to investigate consumer complaints within your areas of responsibility and develop appropriate written responses
- Identify and coordinate resolution of potential line of business compliance or operational errors
- Provide legal advice on approaches for standardized responses to particular types or recurring instances of complaints or non-litigation demands for compensation
- Legal point of contact for bank operations functions – including support for questions that arise in connection with garnishment of and other third-party claims against bank accounts, deceased accounts, and escheatment/unclaimed property reporting requirements
- Partner with Compliance and Risk to support cafe and branch initiatives
- >Daily interactions with branch and operations associates
- Juris Doctorate degree
- Member in good standing in at least one state bar
- At least 3 years of legal experience supporting a retail or direct bank
- At least 3 years of experience with laws and regulations related to deposit accounts
- 4 or more years as in-house counsel at a Bank or practicing in a law firm providing legal advice for a retail bank
- Expertise in Regulation E, Regulation CC, Regulation DD, UDAAP, Articles 3, 4 and 4A
- Knowledge of deposit account ownership structures, FDIC insurance requirements, unclaimed property reporting requirements, and state probate and estate requirements
- Knowledge of The Uniform Commercial Code (UCC)
- Awareness of state and other political subdivision laws impacting retail establishments
- Ability to build collegial and effective relationships with business clients, attorneys, risk and compliance professionals
- Ability to prioritize and manage a significant volume of legal questions on a broad array of topics with multiple and simultaneous deadlines
- Ability to rapidly synthesize new information and make quick, well-grounded decisions
- Excellent legal research and verbal and written communication skills with the ability to influence others
Interested in applying to this career opportunity?
Please email Taylor Frank, [email protected], and include Capital One Senior Counsel, Senior Manager–Card and Retail Bank in the subject line.