Director–Software Delivery Development
About the Position
Would you like a career where you get to use your leadership skills and digital health expertise? Lilly is seeking a Director of Software Development who shares our passion to make a positive impact on the lives of patients. You will lead and mentor a team of colleagues who are responsible for the development of digital health solutions and lead relationships within the external ecosystem that we operate. You will help the team design, develop and deliver digital solutions for patients while maintaining the highest standards of patient safety, ethical practice, data quality and regulatory standards.
In this role, you will set the strategy, establish development processes, manage the organization and provide leadership over the software development organization delivering all of the digital products within Lilly’s Digital Health portfolio. Working directly with senior leaders across Devices (DDCS), Business Units and IT, you will influence program needs and translate those needs into robust reliable commercial software products. You will also engage with the internal and external partners to influence their product and service roadmaps.
If this sounds interesting to you, read on to find out how to join our team, where you will enjoy meaningful work and continue to build a successful career. The main responsibilities include the following:
- Team Building: Lead the team by setting objectives, recruiting, motivating, coaching and developing a best in class software development team. Advise the leadership team (IT and business) on processes, roles and tools necessary for effective and efficient development of digital health products and platforms.
- Scalable Execution: Create the strategy and framework used to build global capabilities that enable the Digital Health Program
- Lead the team: Actively lead the software development organization, working directly with the various product delivery teams to ensure the portfolio is delivered to plan and budget requirments
- Internal Influence: Build effective relationships with senior business & IT leadership to understand and influence strategic business needs, achieve consensus on high value capabilities, and communicate clear and achievable expectations.
- Roadmap Development: Develop and govern an aligned digital health development roadmap and align timelines and budgets with program objectives.
- Continuous Improvement: Partnering with quality and regulatory to continuously find opportunities to automate and innovate on process and technology in order to reduce development timelines and operational costs without sacrificing quality.
- External Influence: Utilize external knowledge to evaluate changes in the environment and influence software development in the digital health marketplace. Represent Lilly in conferences and other industry events to support marketing, recruiting and business development.
- Partner Strategy: Engage in diligence efforts to evaluate new technologies to be considered as part of the overall digital health platform and collaborate with established partners to ensure aligned and integrated digital health ecosystem
- Security & Architecture by design: Partner with cybersecurity & architecture teams to ensure appropriate design and controls exist to ensure secure and reliable digital health solutions that fit into the broader digital health ecosystem
- Supplier Engagement: Participate in the design, selection and governance of suppliers and partners employed for Lilly’s digital health program
- Prioritize Privacy: Ensure consumer privacy concerns are designed into cloud architecture (data transfer, processing, and rest), SOPs, and employee training. Treat compliance to US and European privacy laws (HIPAA, HITECH, and GDPR) as minimum privacy requirements
- Bachelor’s degree
- 10+ years of experience as an IT professional, developing and supporting software solutions
- 5+ years of experience working in a regulated software development environment, regulated medical device software preferred
- 5+ years of healthcare / Life Sciences experience
- Demonstrable ability to establish organizations in a complex business and technical environment
- Significant experience leading large scale (50+) internationally dispersed, hybrid delivery teams, leveraging internal, external partners with on-shore and off-shore mix to deliver successful business objectives.
- Significant experience developing cloud based software solutions, object or component orientated technologies and database management systems
- Significant experience developing commercially available software products on AWS and mobile technologies (e.g. Heroku, Jenkins, GitHub, Jira, Node.JS, Swift, Kotlin, AWS tech stack)
- Solid ability to elicit business needs at senior levels and identify the best way address them
- Willingness to challenge the status quo and drive peers and senior leaders to timely decisions
- Good interpersonal and communication skills with multiple examples of being able to convey complex ideas and thoughts in manners that resulted in definitive directions and results
- Good judgment and a pragmatic approach to implementing solutions considering complex needs, business constraints and technological realities
- Understanding of U.S. Federal and State, EU and European national privacy law
- Solid understanding of cybersecurity operation principles
- Commanding understanding of NOC/SOC capabilities and expectations
- Knowledge of containerization and serverless technology
- Previous experience with master data management, deep learning, analytics and agile software development
- Strong understanding of IoT and the consumerization of IT
- Previous Medical Device Software delivery and operation experience
- IT Supplier management experience
Interested in applying to this career opportunity?
Please email Taylor Frank, [email protected], and include Lilly Director-Software Delivery Development in the subject line.
About Eli Lilly and Company
At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 39,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.