Senior Director of Community Relations (Chicago Bulls)
The Chicago Bulls are currently seeking a Senior Director who will guide strategy development, internal collaboration, staff development, external relations, and fundraising for our Community Relations and philanthropic outreach efforts. This senior leader will serve as the internal expert for corporate social responsibility, developing and implementing strategy with the executive team, department heads, corporate and community partners, and the NBA.
We are seeking someone with strong business knowledge who possesses the ability to thrive in a high-energy, fast-paced and entrepreneurial organization as part of a collaborative and committed team. An ideal candidate will have the strategic expertise to help build scalable models that leverage Bulls and corporate partner brand, assets, relationships and opportunities to meet program and business goals.
About the Position
In this role, you will have hands-on involvement in developing and guiding the implementation of a strategic plan for the Bulls Community Relations department and Chicago Bulls Charities that aligns with and supports the team’s civic and business goals.
- Guide development and implementation of initiatives and cause marketing campaigns that align with and support the philanthropic and business objectives of the team and its corporate partners
- Establish and nurture effective, dedicated relationships with community organizations to meet the Bulls’ philanthropic goals, as well as position the team as a strong community partner
- Oversee fundraising programs and strategies to generate support for Chicago Bulls Charities
- Conduct audit of department operations and find opportunities for greater efficiencies; develop and implement plans
- Create and implement a comprehensive, effective measurement system to track and evaluate our progress in achieving civic goals and commitments
- Lead a team of 8+ full-time and 25+ PT staff that focus on program development and activation, fundraising, player programs, and alumni relations
- Represent the Chicago Bulls and Chicago Bulls Charities at various events, programs, meetings and other functions throughout the year. Some public speaking will be required
- Work with a cross-functional group to develop creative and impactful content and distribution plans that connects fans and supporters with the work of the department
- Provide oversight and guidance to staff responsible for the continued development and expansion of our Alumni Club and associated work with team ambassadors and legends
We are looking to place someone with a high degree of professionalism, sensitivity, and integrity must be combined with an excellent attention to detail and organizational and interpersonal skills (oral and written). You could be a potential match for this role if you a strong mix of the following experience:
- A minimum of 12 years of experience in nonprofit, community relations, or a related field
- Proven staff, budget and operational management experience
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, ability to prioritize to meet deadlines, the flexibility needed to accomplish multiple objectives and projects, and ability to exercise good judgment
- Demonstrated creativity and innovation in fundraising
- Experience as a public speaker
- Excellent organization, communication, and composure to adapt to changing deadlines and ad hoc requests
- A real passion for community service, and a broad knowledge of non-profit organizations, preferably in the Chicago area
- Keen attention to detail, strong conflict resolution, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Ability to earn the confidence of a wide range of internal and external constituents and to network within a professional, corporate environment
- Ability to multitask, remain organized and demonstrate a high level of initiative and energy both individually and as a team member within a fast-paced and performance-based environment
- Possess an uncompromised ability to protect the confidentiality/privacy of others and company documents and records
- Able to contribute to and build a healthy, productive work environment with positive relationships, and follow through on duties as assigned
Interested in applying to this career opportunity?
Please email Taylor Frank, firstname.lastname@example.org, and include Chicago Bulls–Senior Director of Community Relations in the subject line.
About the NBA
At the NBA, we’re passionate about growing and celebrating the game of basketball. Through the intensity of the game and the amazing athletic skill of our players, we deliver excitement to hundreds of millions of fans around the world.
As a global sports and media business, the NBA is so much more. While Basketball Operations runs the league’s on-court activities, other departments manage relationships with television and digital media partners, develop marketing partnerships with some of the world’s most recognizable companies, oversee the licensing of NBA merchandise, and handle a wide range of responsibilities that drive the NBA’s success.
Off the court, we’re also deeply committed to social responsibility. NBA Cares leads the league’s involvement in addressing important social issues by working with internationally recognized youth-serving organizations that support education, youth and family development, and health-related causes.