Team Operations Director (Memphis Grizzlies)
About the Position
The Team Operations Director is responsible to the Vice President of Team Operations + Player Programs for oversight and management of the day-to-day operations for the Memphis Grizzlies (NBA) and Memphis Hustle (G-League). This hands-on position will be a vital contributor to the Basketball Operations Department, managing core administration activities, and assisting with the execution of key team events. Position includes strategic vision, leadership, staff management, budget management, and process/system development streamlining administrative procedures.
- Develop and implement strategic and tactical plans to improve team and department operations, efficiency, and productivity. Evaluate the effectiveness of department procedures regularly according to organizational objectives and apply improvements.
- Manage a talented staff by cultivating a collaborative culture, prioritizing workflows, supervising projects, and serving as the principal liaison between various basketball and business operations departments.
- Monitor, identify, recommend, and implement new and emerging processes, technologies, and models applicable to internal processes.
- Ensure financial objectives for team operations are met by managing the annual budget, ensuring project documents are accurate, and also timely reporting and payment. Position will work closely with the Director of Budgets.
- Manage department administrative procedures such as team rulebook, league memos, key date calendar, logistics for player movement, player assignments, team and league communication apps, and project management system.
- Assist with content and logistics for key team events including Training Camp, Summer League, NBA All-Star, NBA Draft, Playoffs, etc.
- Establish collaborative inter-departmental relationships to encourage and support communication between departments, meeting regularly to address and respond to issues, proactively identify and utilize appropriate resources to support organizational vision and goals.
- Manage direct reports – hire, assign, and evaluate work. Develop a system of controls to ensure service levels, and operational performance goals are met. Provide training to further their professional and skill development.
- Manage department support services including travel management, game night team services, facilities management, status and compliance or vendor partnerships, inventory, contracting and purchasing, equipment maintenance, and repair.
- Adhere to all safety and security policies and regulations; demonstrate quality work that is accurate, thorough, and efficient. Ensure security, integrity, and confidentiality of data.
- Manage the planning and execution of department events and programs.
- Partner with HR to update and maintain office policies as necessary.
- Remain updated on technical and professional knowledge by attending educational workshops, joining professional associations, building networks with fellow professionals, and reviewing of industry publications.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills, Experience, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Sports Management or similar field.
- 3-5 years of relevant experience; preferably in operations.
- Superior organizational skills, attention to detail, and management of deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to obtain results through effective leadership and communication. Must enjoy training and mentoring staff.
- Strong project management experience.
- Ability to plan and work independently. Demonstrate a high degree of initiative, follow-through, and project completion.
- Demonstrable analytical thinking and business insight.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to give sharp, confident progress reports.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills: active listening, feedback skills.
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operations metrics.
- Strong skills with both Windows and Mac platforms; Microsoft Office and PowerPoint
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Possess reliable transportation, valid driver’s license, auto insurance, and registration.
Interested in applying to this career opportunity?
Please email Taylor Frank, email@example.com, and include Memphis Grizzlies–Team Operations Director in the subject line.
About the NBA
At the NBA, we’re passionate about growing and celebrating the game of basketball. Through the intensity of the game and the amazing athletic skill of our players, we deliver excitement to hundreds of millions of fans around the world.
As a global sports and media business, the NBA is so much more. While Basketball Operations runs the league’s on-court activities, other departments manage relationships with television and digital media partners, develop marketing partnerships with some of the world’s most recognizable companies, oversee the licensing of NBA merchandise, and handle a wide range of responsibilities that drive the NBA’s success.
Off the court, we’re also deeply committed to social responsibility. NBA Cares leads the league’s involvement in addressing important social issues by working with internationally recognized youth-serving organizations that support education, youth and family development, and health-related causes.