Senior Manager, Senior Counsel–Marketing
McLean, VA; Richmond, VA
The Regulatory Advisory Team in Capital One’s Legal Department is seeking an attorney to review marketing materials, communications and other initiatives including social media, sweepstakes, and other promotions for compliance with consumer regulatory laws and internal standards, policies and controls. This position will report to the Assistant General Counsel, Marketing and will have responsibility for:
- identifying and assessing legal risks as direct legal support for Social Media and Corporate Communications initiatives as part of a collaborative and cross-functional team;
- acting as the subject matter expert for sweepstakes, contests, and promotions across the company;
- consulting on escalated marketing initiatives and questions for all business lines and developing best practices for sustainable marketing review and approval processes;
- working with Digital, Brand, Operations, Client Development, Legal, and Compliance stakeholders as the subject matter expert within the Legal Department to address risks, develop creative solutions, and resolve issues related to digital initiatives, Electronic Signatures In Global and National Commerce (E-SIGN), and state Uniform Electronic Transaction Acts (UETAs) and terms and conditions for websites, apps, and other digital platforms; and
- developing and updating of enterprise legal standards in these and other areas. This position will entail numerous interactions with creative business partners, other Legal Department subject matter experts, and senior line of business attorneys in a fast-paced environment.
- JD and member in good standing of at least one state bar
- At least 4 years of experience in a law firm or at least 4 years of experience in an in-house legal department or at least 4 years of experience in a federal regulatory agency
- At least 2 years of counsel experience with marketing or at least 2 years of experience with promotions and sweepstakes
- At least 2 years of experience with Unfair and Deceptive Acts and Practices (UDAP) or at least 2 years of experience with Unfair, Deceptive or Abusive Acts or Practices (UDAAP) laws and regulations
- 4+ years of counsel or compliance experience with consumer finance laws, regulations and disclosures
- Experience counseling clients on digital initiatives and/or innovation
- Intellectual property experience in trademarks, copyrights, and right of publicity
- Ability to clearly identify and describe legal risks presented by very detailed marketing materials and present options
- Ability to build collegial and effective relationships with attorneys, business managers, creative teams, public relations professionals, analysts, project managers, and Corporate Compliance professionals
Interested in applying to this career opportunity?
Please email Taylor Frank, [email protected], and include Capital One Senior Manager, Senior Counsel–Marketing in the subject line.