Vice President, The Rise Fund
San Francisco, CA
About the Position
As a further evolution in its role as a leading investment platform, TPG launched the world’s largest global impact fund in 2017: The Rise Fund, raising $2.1 billion. The Rise Fund is committed to achieving measurable, positive social and environmental outcomes alongside competitive financial returns, where the growth of the business drives growth in positive impact. The Rise Fund is managed by global alternative asset firm TPG. The Rise Fund is led by a group of leaders with a deep personal and professional commitment to driving social and environmental progress and has a global investment and business building team with extensive experience. The Rise Fund’s objectives align with the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and its existing education portfolio includes DreamBox, Renaissance Learning, DigitalHouse and EverFi. In addition to education, the Rise Fund invests in energy, financial services, food and agriculture and healthcare companies that deliver complete returns.
The Rise Fund will focus on sectors in which it can channel TPG’s proven investment experience to help address major social and environmental challenges: Education, Energy, Financial Services, Food & Agriculture, Healthcare, Infrastructure, and Technology/Media/Telecommunications.
Central to the leadership and execution of The Rise Fund is a cadre of sector experts focused on the needs and priorities of each investment theme. These sector leads will work in close collaboration with TPG’s Growth team to select, invest in and build highly-impactful businesses in their respective sector.
TPG has also founded YAnalytics to develop and curate an impact assessment methodology that values the social outcomes of every investment and integrates impact into each portfolio company’s operating key performance indicators (KPIs). This impact framework allows The Rise Fund to manage impact with the equivalent high level of rigor that characterizes our investment underwriting. Sector-specific output metrics will be identified for each investment, utilizing independent outcomes research.
The Rise Fund is looking for a well-trained private equity professional who is excited to join our prominent education technology investment effort. The VP will also support other sectors as needed, including technology, media and telecom.
Candidates should have two-three years of relevant private equity experience. The ideal candidate should have experience supporting and monitoring portfolio companies as well as experience executing equity and debt financings, particularly in sub $500mm transactions.
This individual must be highly regarded, with an impressive track record of assisting with the execution of transactions, as well as working with management teams and investors in and around these transactions. Due diligence experience is required, and candidates should have direct experience overseeing third party resources (e.g. legal, accounting, environmental, etc.) during due diligence.
Candidates should possess exceptional leadership, relationship and management skills. Candidates must demonstrate strong analytical and financial acumen. They must have excellent interpersonal and presentation skills and must have a strong, self-guided work ethic. Candidates should have an exceptional history of academic and professional achievement. An MBA is a plus but not required.
- Day-to-day point person for all aspects of the direct investing process, working closely with senior investment professionals, associates and third-part advisors.
- Perform initial review of business opportunities and discussing relevant factors with team members;
- Supervise associates and manage due diligence analysis;
- Lead due diligence efforts on investments including accounting, finance, legal, and business;
- Actively work with the portfolio companies on building long-term value – e.g., developing and maintaining strategic objectives, financial performance, and integration planning;
- Manage structuring, financing, and follow-on acquisitions, and;
- Find ways to maximize returns for existing investments through sales, mergers, IPOs, and other avenues for realizing value.
- Manage pipeline of attractive investment opportunities:
- Work closely with the Rise Education Sector Lead to manage a pipeline of attractive investment opportunities. The VP will integrate the deep sectoral knowledge of the Sector Lead with the Growth platform’s mid-market private equity investment strategy and leverage the extensive relationship networks of the sector lead and other TPG partners and teammates;
- Collaborate with the Sector Lead in identification of target rich subsectors for prospecting;
- Maintain high volume of calls and meetings with entrepreneurs;
- Maintain active pipeline and communicate with Sector Leads, other investment professionals and the IRC about the relative merits of the opportunities in the pipeline;
- Evaluate whether investment opportunities are appropriately impactful for The Rise Fund applying the fund’s impact underwriting framework working with the Bridgespan Group and/or YAnalytics.
The Rise VP is expected to understand the concept of co-linearity between impact and financial return and to screen for and pursue those investment opportunities which clear both impact and financial hurdles.
- 2-3 years of private equity investment experience with a well-regarded fund, following 1-2 years of corporate finance training in a top tier investment bank
- Demonstrated experience in and passion for the education sector and work with education entrepreneurs
- Strong collaborator with great interpersonal skills and team player willing to work across sectors and investment opportunities as needed by the firm
- Demonstrated passion for creating positive social/environmental impact
- Strong strategic and analytical skills – ability to evaluate businesses from multiple perspectives, with a focus on growth stage businesses;
- Proven commercial judgment in both assessing investment opportunities (growth stage a plus);
- Sharp communication skills – ability to communicate succinctly and clearly; excellence in writing and presenting;
- Interest in networking with entrepreneurs, advisors and investors to build a robust pipeline;
- Ability to process manage and multitask across a large number of ongoing transactions;
- High degree of poise and sufficient gravitas to communicate with and motivate a broad spectrum of potential investment sources
- International experience a plus;
- Impact investing experience a plus;
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and navigate complex stakeholder groups;
- High level of comfort with ambiguity and working in a dynamic, rapidly evolving organization;
- Willingness to get involved in all aspects of a small team environment.
Interested in applying to this career opportunity?
Please email Taylor Frank, email@example.com, and include TPG Vice President, The Rise Fund in the subject line.
TPG is a leading global private investment firm with more than $100 billion of assets under management and a current active portfolio valued over $45 billion. The firm invests in world-class franchises across a range of industries and has extensive experience investing in global public and private investments executed through leveraged buyouts, recapitalization, spinouts, growth investments, joint ventures, and restructurings.
TPG currently has 200 global portfolio companies with over 500,000 employees and total revenues in excess of $150 billion. Fully aggregated, TPG portfolio companies would rank in the top ten of the Fortune 500. The firm’s investments have consistently outperformed the public markets, generating value of over $56 billion on equity invested of $76 billion in the last 23 years.
TPG has 17 global offices with 500 investment professionals in San Francisco, Fort Worth, Austin, Dallas, New York, Beijing, Hong Kong, London, Luxembourg, Melbourne, Moscow, Mumbai, São Paulo, Shanghai, Singapore and Tokyo.
TPG Growth is the middle market and growth equity investment platform of TPG, the global private investment firm and the platform which houses TPG’s Rise Fund. Together with TPG Growth IV and the Rise Fund, the platform is currently investing $5.5 billion targeting investments in a broad range of industries and geographies. TPG Growth has the deep sector knowledge, operational resources and global experience to drive value creation and help companies reach their full potential. TPG Growth’s current and past investments represent a mix of iconic and innovative companies across tech, retail and entertainment including Airbnb, Angie’s Artisan Treats, e.l.f. Cosmetics, Fender, SurveyMonkey, Healthium, and Uber. TPG Growth has offices in the United States, China, India, London and Singapore.
For more information, visit TPG.com.