Program Manager, Investments
About the Position
The Program Manager will be responsible for the successful management and execution of enterprise wide, cross-functional strategic programs that are of moderate to high risk and complexity. Program managers will provide oversight of multiple project / senior project managers assigned to the program and provide overall leadership to ensure that the program stays aligned and coherent in achieving its objectives.
The incumbent will be required to:
- Lead teams of project management professionals to effectively deliver on the expected program outcomes.
- Responsible for planning and strategizing across the projects in scope to ensure adequate resourcing, financial impacts, interdependencies, and roadmaps for strategy planning. Translate roadmaps into actionable interrelated plans.
- Lead collaborative partnerships and dialog across multiple business units and functions.
- Actively promote alignment and compliance with related programs and projects across the Enterprise.
- Demonstrate program management expertise and exercise influence in order to identify, evaluate, and recommend current/potential projects to ensure access to accurate information for consumption by clients, regulators, and other critical stakeholders.
- Develop the strategy for managing the timeline and budget consisting of multiple, concurrent projects with multiple deliverables and components across a multi-year period, in conjunction with the business sponsor and other stakeholders.
- Proactively work with the sponsor/s to identify, approve, and prioritize all projects and deliverables throughout the lifecycle of the program.
- Develop the program schedule consisting of the components, the order in which they must be executed, the amount of time required for each, and the major program level milestones
- Engages business and technical leaders in the identification of medium-term business solutions consistent with best practices for cross-functional implementation. Sets the direction for and steers medium-term enhancements of integrated standards and significant business performance drivers across multiple areas of responsibility
- Sets objectives necessary for obtaining feedback and assistance. Maintains effective communication. Shares ideas, issues, and opportunities with members of personal network. Seeks referrals from network members to others with relevant expertise and influence. Attends professional networking groups.
- Leads the planning and implementation of change programs that impact critical functions/processes. Partners with other resource managers/change agents to identify opportunities for significant process enhancements. Recommends changes that impact strategic business direction. Sets expectations for monitoring and feedback systems and reviews performance trends. Evaluates progress and involves peers and team members in analyzing strengths and weaknesses in performance. Improves efficiency by spearheading pilots and planned functional change initiatives.
- Researches organizational and professional trends. Networks internally and externally on areas of interest and concern. Evaluates sources, and collates and compares findings for bias, omission and accuracy. Conducts objective analysis. Prioritizes information by source. Monitors systematically. Deploys resources (time, people, systems) to ensure timely management reporting. Reviews and determines need for corrective action and/or business opportunities.
- Converses with, writes reports and creates/delivers presentations to all levels of colleagues and peer groups in ways that support problem solving and planning. Seeks a consensus with business partners. Debates opinions, tests understanding and clarifies judgments. Brings conflict into the open empathetically. Explains the context of multiple inter-related situations, asks searching, probing questions, and solicits expert advice prior to taking action and making recommendations.
- Instills in others the importance of planning and producing high quality, timely work. Manages projects and presides over meetings so that they are producing expected outcomes. Plans for allocation of resources consistent with unit goals. Creates and implements a strategy for supporting current and future business needs.
- Takes steps to identify and improve processes within own functional area. May escalate process improvement recommendations to appropriate management team for consideration. Participates on process improvement teams as subject mater expert for assigned areas of responsibilities.
- Sets medium-term goals and objectives that enhance the performance of groups and processes. Sustains operational performance and simultaneously anticipates the needs of the organization, taking preemptive action to avoid potential problems.
- Sets the vision, defines the value and acts as role model for creating a culture that sets superior standards and delivers on time and on budget. Agrees upon service level and project expectations with senior leaders. Reviews enterprise’s progress against established goals, objectives, service level targets and project milestones. Devises strategies for delivering large-scale projects on time. Proactively conducts business review meetings for reprioritization of resources and taking corrective action to respond to strategic initiatives. Holds self and leadership team members accountable for achievements, publicly recognizing successes. Identifies areas of potential vulnerability in achieving strategic business drivers. Supports the enterprise in achieving deliverables by investing in world-class organizational processes.
Develop enterprise PM talent and capabilities
- Build broad organizational capabilities related to effective program /project management and adoption of ECO best practices which align with the firm’s strategies.
- Act as a thought leader across the enterprise on program and project management matters. Promote and personally increase cross-business unit collaboration and knowledge sharing
- Serve as a role model to others. Coach, develop, and mentor direct/ indirect reports.
- Support the organization’s talent management and diversity goals.
- Minimum 6 years of related work experience
- Credible change manager
- Extensive knowledge of PMBOK
- Experience managing a team of 2-4 project managers and large matrix teams
- Strong consulting orientation and outstanding client relationship management skills
- Strong negotiation and influence skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience managing budgets exceeding $5M+
- Ability to work well with people with varying technical, business and cultural backgrounds
- Comfortable working with executive management
- Experienced in managing people of varying management and skill levels
- Experienced in multiple methodologies, including Software Development Life Cycle, Lean, Agile etc
- Prior experience executing program discovery and investigation, including development of cost-benefit analysis for strategic programs
- Demonstrated high level of analytical and problem solving skills
- Experienced in business process improvement approaches and techniques
- 10+ years of related work experience
- Financial industry experience
- Experience managing technical implementations
- PMP Certification
- PgMP certification
- Experience with Microsoft Project, Excel PowerPoint, and Sharepoint
- 4+ years in the Financial Investments Industry
Interested in applying to this career opportunity?
Please email Taylor Frank, [email protected], and include T. Rowe Program Manager Investments in the subject line.
About T. Rowe Price
Our mission as a leading investment management firm is to help our clients achieve their long-term financial goals. We believe our associates are the key to this mission and we are always looking for talented individuals who share our commitment to our client’s success.
If you’re looking for challenging work experiences and the ability to learn in a collaborative culture, we invite you to explore the opportunities available at T. Rowe Price.