Director and Associate General Counsel, Global Privacy Compliance
Menlo Park, CA
About the Position
Privacy and security are central to everything we do at Facebook. The legal department works across the company to develop and implement processes and safeguards to protect the personal information of our users. Facebook is seeking a talented, self-motivated experienced attorney that is excited by taking on and leading complex privacy projects, thrives in a fast-paced environment and can seamlessly drive success working with multiple cross-functional stakeholders to accomplish bold things. This is a full-time position.
In this role, you will lead a team of attorneys and legal professionals develop and execute a global privacy program with a focus on compliance, operations, monitoring and risk management. In doing so, you will assist in managing our compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and commitments, while applying leading practices to our most critical privacy program focus areas, including monitoring, assurance, testing, training and awareness initiatives across Facebook.
- Lead a team of attorneys and legal professionals tasked with developing and evolving a globally comprehensive privacy program, focused on assessing risks, designing and updating controls, monitoring and evidencing compliance, and evolving the program over time
- Work with cross-functional partners across the organization to identify requirements, obligations and best practices, and translate them into executable technical and operational safeguards that can be implemented and tested
- Work on other global privacy initiatives in furtherance of Facebook’s legal obligations related to protecting personal data of users, employees, non-employees and other third parties
- Manage discussions with third parties related to Facebook’s privacy program controls, including auditors and regulators
- Support privacy monitoring and assurance efforts, identifying risks and gaps, and developing and implementing critical mitigation and remediation efforts
- Oversee work on incident response, employee privacy, and other privacy compliance-related matters
- J.D. degree (or foreign equivalent) and membership in at least one US state bar
- 12+ years of experience on privacy legal and/or privacy program design, oversight and management for internal/external clients
- Experience building and implementing global privacy compliance, operations and risk programs
- Experience testing, monitoring and assessing privacy programs
- Experience working with external auditors and/or regulatory inquiries involving privacy or information security
- Experience managing teams
- Experience working with management across functions critical to a privacy organization
- Experience prioritizing and managing multiple projects with varying deadlines
- Experience explaining topics and gaining support and consensus from multiple stakeholders
- Experience with program management practices, tools, and methodology
- Privacy and data protection, Information technology/information security experience (e.g. GDPR, FTC Act, data breach laws, etc.)
- Experience with emerging technologies and devices
- Knowledge of Facebook products
- Consulting or advisory experience on privacy matters
- Privacy certification (e.g. CIPP or CIPM or similar)
Interested in applying to this career opportunity?
Please email Taylor Frank, [email protected], and include Facebook Director and Associate General Counsel, Global Privacy Compliance in the subject line.
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we’re just getting started.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. You may view Facebook’s Pay Transparency Policy and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notice by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Facebook participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.