Managing Vice President, Enterprise Risk Management and Global Finance Technology
In this highly visible role, you will be viewed as a key partner to the Global Finance and Enterprise Risk leadership teams, while being a technology focused catalyst for the bold and industry leading change required to modernize these mission critical systems. As we transform into a software company, this executive will play a critical role in driving innovative change, while balancing the demands and complexity of a broad range of highly regulated functions within the bank.
The mission of the Vice President, Enterprise Risk Management & Global Finance Technology is to drive the definition and implementation of the next generation of Global Finance and Enterprise Risk Management Technology solutions across Capital One, while maintaining a well-managed operation for some of the banks most highly regulated and scrutinized applications. Critical to that next generation is our commitment to re-engineer these systems in the cloud over the next several years while beginning to drive more custom software and data engineering for several highly differentiated functions. In addition, this role will continue to lead and champion our shift to a DevOps culture continuing to move us to a more modern approach to software integration, development, and operations.
This role will report to the SVP of Enterprise Data Services and has primary technology delivery accountability to the Chief Financial Officer and Chief Risk Officer. Specific technology domains supported include Treasury & Balance Sheet Risk Analytics, Corporate Finance & Planning, Enterprise & Operational Risk Management, Anti-Money Laundering & Compliance, and Regulatory Reporting and Capital Management.
- Successfully execute on our strategy to migrate the application portfolio to Public Cloud
- Refine and execute application modernization strategy
- Continue multi-year program to implement Global Finance’s strategic operational data store(GFIT)
- Deliver on Compliance’s Anti Money Laundering goals including meeting our Consent Order KYC deliverables and driving development of next generation application and data infrastructure
- Lead experiments and drive maturity in applying early emerging technology disciplines including robotic process automation, machine learning, self-serve analytics to the Risk & Finance portfolio
- Lead transition towards a DevOps culture, while instilling operational excellence in all aspects of delivery
- Operate and manage all existing mission critical applications, ensuring conformance to internal standard, and regulatory compliance requirements
- Ensure key control objectives are understood by the organization and met through implementation of comprehensive operational procedures
- Shorten the time needed for our solutions to deliver customer value and regulatory compliance
The successful candidate will be a seasoned technology professional with passion for transformation. He/she will consider it a personal mission to stay current on industry trends and leading technologies and have a burning desire to bring about transformation. Ideally this individual will have experience within a mid-sized to larger financial services (or other highly regulated, data intensive) organization. He/she will have transformation experience, implementing large scale data initiatives while ideally having experience in cloud-based SaaS implementations for complex financial applications.
This person will have a proven track record of being able to identify top technical talent and inspire and manage through change. He/she will also have a proven ability to operate effectively in a complex, and evolving environment. He or she will have a demonstrated ability to develop a vision, drive and manage the execution of that vision, and deliver top-tier results. The successful candidate will exhibit excellent leadership skills to leverage the capabilities of peers, business partners, and associates, and should possess the confidence and poise to influence the executive leadership team and various internal stakeholders.
Strong business judgment, strategic orientation and communication skills are essential. Also important are an attention to detail, good team dynamics, and an ability to work independently as needed.
Specific candidate competencies include, but are not limited to:
- Exceptional leadership skills, marked by poise, positive influence, and the ability to drive change
- Results orientation; ability to remove obstacles and hold people accountable for achieving challenging business results
- Intellectually curious; interested in understanding and experimenting with new leading edge technologies
- Ability to establish credibility with, as well as motivate and mentor, highly technical engineers.
- Demonstrated ability to employ judgment and experience to make rapid and complex decisions
- Highly developed interpersonal, presentation, and communications skills (written and oral)
- A management style that is collaborative, energetic, results-oriented, and innovative
- Strong team builder and leader. Well-honed coaching skills with the ability and passion for developing one’s direct reports
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent work experience
- 7-10 years of senior engineering management experience, including running COTS applicationintegration, software development, and/or technology operations teams
- Understands the current financial services regulatory regime including but not limited to:- AML/KYC- Basel / CCAR
- Understands how to deliver on regulatory mandates, and demonstrated success as a change agentwhile adapting to ever-changing regulations and keeping within cost effectiveness
- Experience integrating and supporting SaaS based cloud application services
- Experience developing IT budgets and managing to budget targets
- Experience with IT cost optimization, vendor management, and contract negotiation
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills to effectively communicate with all levels of staff, both technical and non-technical
- Strong track record of successful collaboration with product management in an Agile environment
- Proven track record of hiring, managing, and growing teams in multiple locations
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a friendly team culture that fosters openness, trust, and frequent communication